Your ad here

Papachinos, Silverlakes (Pretoria)


First off, thanks to Luschka van Onselen for contributing this article to Plebs with Kids :)
...and now, onto the review!

Papachinos is a restaurant, but it is one of the most child-friendly places I've come across.
Need to sit and work, but have your child with you? Try Papachinos. 
Need to have lunch with a friend? Try Papachinos.
Need some time out and want someone else to take care of the little one for you? Papachinos.

Date Last Visited

March 2011

Location and Setting

Near Lynnwood Road or Hans Strydom Road, in the Silverlakes area, Papachinos is attached to the big 'Seven' building, nestled nicely on the cool side of the building.

The physical address is: Cnr Silverlakes and Graham Rd, Silver Lakes, Gauteng 0054, South Africa
There's a map here.

For the kids...
 
There's a good sized, covered outdoor area, with a large-ish play area/climb frame with six slides of different sizes, heights and configurations, steps, a tunnel and a turret. It's partially shaded too – a big plus for me in the scorching summer sun.

What differentiates this from your standard Wimpy is that there are staff on duty specially there to entertain and play with the children while you can still keep a watchful eye, your kids can see you and yet you can get on with what you're there to do.

There's also a gorgeous stone-baked pizza oven, and a child-height counter where little ones can create their own pizza with help from the staff on duty. A dash of flour on the table, a pre-rolled circle of pizza dough and children can 'roll out' their pizza crust, and add the topping of their choice. 
In the oven and a few minutes later, lunch is served – food and activity for just R28. A bargain in my mind.

For the adults...

Ah! For me, it's all about the coffee. 
South Africa is the only place I've been where you can ask for a cappuccino with cream, so that's what I indulge in when I'm here, and Papachino's do a good one. 

Lunch in a shaded area with a cool breeze, lovely music and a relaxed Mediterranean atmosphere, and someone to look after my child under my supervision – well, let's just say you wouldn't be reading this if it weren't for Papachinos.

That's right – I'm sitting here right now, sipping on my creamy coffee and watching a member of staff slide down the slides with my little girl, who is loving it.

Anything else?

Yes! The bathrooms! They are beautiful, and there's a baby change (and a very cute toddler potty) and plenty of room. The internal décor is very Mediterranean, with (admittedly fake) grapes hanging from the trellises.  

The food is great, and well priced, considering your location and everything you're getting for it. 
My cappuccino was R14.95, my calamari starter – I didn't need a main after it,  was a very generous portion for R48.95.

Final words
 
Well, I think my thoughts on Papachinos are pretty self-evident. I think it's great and I wish there were more dotted around Pretoria.  In fact, if they moved one into my garden that would be fine with me too. 

Getting in touch

Telephone:
012 809 3539

Anonymous –   – (January 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM)  

Papachinos telephone number : 012 809 3539
(not the one listed above)

Tibor Szabo  – (January 19, 2012 at 12:41 PM)  

@Anonymous - thank you for posting the correct number.
I have updated the review accordingly.

Anonymous –   – (March 24, 2012 at 7:22 PM)  

I have a gripe ....

I have kids but also ride a mountain bike , today I was treated like a piece of crap by the staff and floor managers because I dared to park my 60 k mountain bike at my table on the side of the restaurant far away from any kids. Not wanting to cause a scene I moved it out the gate , 2 kids almost pulled it over on them. I was asked by the manager about the service and explained the fact that I found the waiters attitude offensive. Just to get a attitude from him as well. The wont see me ever again.

Post a Comment

your ad here

Want to advertise here on Plebs with Kids?
Drop us a mail for further info.

About Plebs with Kids

Plebs with Kids visits mainly JHB-based venues, coffee shops, restaurants, play areas and other such establishments.

We rate their kid-friendliness (among other things :) for your convenience, and for the next time you need a place to go, while knowing that your little ones are well catered for.

your ad here

Want to advertise here on Plebs with Kids?
Drop us a mail for further info.

Places we have visited


View Places we have visited in a larger map

Disclaimer


Privacy:

The owner of this blog does not share personal information with third-parties nor does the owner store information that is collected about your visit for use
other than to analyze content performance through the use of cookies, which you can turn off at anytime by modifying your Internet browser’s settings.
The owner is not responsible for the republishing of the content found on this blog on other Web sites or media without permission.

Blog Comments:

The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice due to:
1. Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam
2. Comments including profanity
3. Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive
4. Comments that attack a person individually

Terms and Conditions:

Plebs with Kids is independent, and is not affiliated to any of the establishments being reviewed.
All content provided on this blog is for informational purposes only.
The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site.
The owner will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information.
The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.

This policy is subject to change at anytime.

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP